PLACES

Airntully (NO101345)

Village about five miles north of Perth, just off the A9.

Margaret Semple, daughter of John Semple & Agnes Dickie, died at Mill of Airntully in 1961.

Alderstocks (Laigh Alderstocks NS613441, High Alderstocks NS610477)

Farms on the Avondale/East Kilbride parish boundary. Sometimes referred to as Allarstocks.

Home of Isabella Cochrane Pate in 1896. She married Robert Struthers, son of Robert Struthers and Ann Wilson.

Allan Cottage

James Dickie died here in 1912.

Allan Cottage is supposedly in Strathaven, but its whereabouts is unknown. However, there is an Allan Cottage in nearby Chapelton.

Ardoch (NS586497)

Farm in East Kilbride parish.

Home of Agnes Gilmour in 1911. She married Andrew Semple, son of John Semple & Agnes Dickie.

Arkland (NX803979)

Farm near Penpont, Dumfriesshire; near the town of Thornhill.

Robert Struthers, son of Robert Struthers and Ann Wilson was living here in 1896, and died here in 1924.

Auchenback (NS510579)

Farm in Barrhead, Neilston; and now the name of a housing scheme there.

Janet Miller, wife of Alexander Imrie, was here in 1881 with her son John and his family. Janet died here in 1882.

Avondale

Parish in Lanarkshire. Named for the River Avon, a tributary of the Clyde. The principal town is Strathaven.

Population - 6463 in 1851, 6167 in 1861, 5946 in 1881.

Avonpark

Nursing home in Strathaven.

Margaret Johnston Semple, daughter of Matthew Semple and Margaret Johnston, died here in 1995.

Backrow (NS648528)

Farm in East Kilbride. In 1881 it measured 500 acres of arable land. The site where it stood is now part of the Kelvin Industrial Estate; the map reference above is as accurate an estimate as I can make.

Old maps suggest that the farm was once known as Backward Row.

Occupied between at least 1907 and the early 1940s by Thomas McWilliam and Margaret Imrie.

Bankend (NS648360)

Farm in Avondale, about seven miles south-west of Strathaven. In 1881 it measured 550 acres, of which 150 were arable.

Possibly known at one time as Mains of Glengavel, or Glengivel, or else built on the same site.

Occupied in 1851 and 1861 by William Craig and Jean Anderson, and in 1881, 1891 and 1901 by Alexander Craig and Jane Fleming. Jane died here in 1908 and her mother Isabella Fleming (nee Morrison) died here in 1910.

Bankhead of Raith (NT235927)

Farm near Kirkcaldy, Fife.

Moses Struthers Forsyth lived here in 1904. He married Margaret Semple, daughter of John Semple & Agnes Dickie.

Benlairs (NS648503)

Farm in East Kilbride parish. Not identified as such on OS maps, it is adjacent to the farm of Drumbuie.

Jeannie Semple (nee Kennedy), second wife of Matthew Semple, died here in 1966.

Birkenshaw or Birkingshaw (NS569582)

Farm in Eastwood, Renfrewshire. In 1881 it measured 85 acres of arable land. It stood west of the Eastwood Toll on the north side of what is now Eastwood Mains Road; the site is approximately under what is now a railway line - the above OS reference is as accurate a guess as I can make.

Occupied in 1851 by Alexander Imrie and Janet Miller and in 1861 by their son Alexander Imrie. Janet's father John Miller probably died here between 1851 and 1855.

Blantyre (NS690570)

Town and parish in Lanarkshire. Famous as the birthplace of the explorer David Livingstone.

Borland

See HIGH BORLAND, below.

Bowhouse (NS615597)

Farm in Carmunnock; it lay north of Cathkin Braes and stood where is now the east edge of Castlemilk. A short length of road named Bowhouse Way is roughly on the site where the farm stood. In 1881 it measured 106 acres of arable land.

James Strang died here in 1860. Two of his daughters were married here - Elizabeth in 1857 and Helen in 1861. His son William was the occupier at the time of the 1881 census.

Burnfoot (Avondale) (NS657391)

Farm cottage (or cottages) on the banks of the Glengavel Water about four miles south-west of Strathaven. Now a ruin.

Sarah Struthers (nee Wilson) died here in 1873. Her son Thomas also died here, in 1869.

Burnfoot (Ayrshire) (NS449449)

Farm approximately half-way between Fenwick and Stewarton.

In 1915 it was occupied by William Semple, who drowned in nearby Burnfoot Reservoir that year.

Burnside (NS558569)

Farm in the parish of Mearns.

Two children of John Craig and Jean McFarlane were born here in 1823 and 1827.

Bushyhill (NS642603)

Part of Cambuslang.

Mary Mathers, widow of John McWilliams, died here in 1855.

Carnduff (NS665465)

Carnduff was a large estate on the Avondale/East Kilbride parish boundary. Several farms now share the name. See the entry for SPRINGFIELD OF CARNDUFF, below.

Andrew Wilson was born at Carnduff in 1783.

Cartside of Dripps

See entry for Dripps, below.

Castle Farm (NT289709)

Farm in Craigmillar, Edinburgh. Presumably, it is the farm next to the ruins of Craigmillar Castle?

Thomas McWilliam died here in 1956. At the time also occupied by his daughter Janet Howie McWilliam and her husband William Pirrie Mackie.

Chapelside (NS648565)

Farm in East Kilbride, just west of Nerston. In 1881 it measured 72 acres.

John Johnston died here in 1826. It was presumably then occupied by his son Alexander Johnston. Alexander died here in 1883 and his wife Agnes Dick in 1889. Alexander's son John Johnston and his family are here on the 1891 and 1901 census. Chapelside continued to be occupied by the Johnston family until at least 1958, when the last of John's children died here.

Chapelton (NS685485)

Town in Glassford parish.

Annie Sinclair Frood Dickie, daughter of William Dickie and Ann Sinclair Frood, married Alexander Simpson of The Cross, Chapelton, in 1923.

James Dickie and Margaret Weir Anderson (nee Dickie), a son and a daughter of William Dickie and Ann Sinclair Frood, both lived at 36 Shawton Road in Chapelton in their later years.

Cheapside (NS575521)

Part of the village of Eaglesham on the East Kilbride road.

Thomas Watt died here in 1879.

Clark Street (NS429376)

Street in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire.

Francis Dickie, son of Francis Dickie and Margaret Campbell, lived at 9 Clark Street. He died there in 1882.

Cleuch (NS562572)

Farm in Eastwood, Renfrewshire. In 1881 it measured 100 acres of arable land. The site where it stood is now the clubhouse for Cathcart Castle Golf Club.

Occupied in 1841 and 1851 by John Craig and Jean McFarlane and also possibly by Janet Howie. John Craig died here in 1856.

Cloverhill (NS693466)

Farm in Glassford parish.

Occupied from at leat 1851 onwards by Andrew Wilson. He died there in 1856.

Collisdene

Nursing home in Strathaven.

Mary Fleming Craig, daughter of Alexander Craig and Jane Fleming, died here in 1981.

Craighead (NS699575)

Farm in Blantyre. It may have been part of a larger estate belonging to Craighead House.

Occupied between at least 1881 and 1890 by John Semple and Agnes Dickie. Four of their children were born there.

Craigmains

House on Letham Road in Strathaven.

Retirement home of Alexander Craig. He died there in 1930.

Crawfordston

Farm in Kirkmichael, Ayrshire.

Home of Jeanie Kennedy, second wife of Matthew Semple.

Curlingmire (NS632513)

Curlingmire (also known as Curlingmyre) farm stood about two miles south of the town of East Kilbride. In 1881 it measured 50 acres. The area where the farm stood was a car park for the Langlands Moss nature reserve, but there is now no vehicular access and the site is rapidly returning to nature. There is a cul-de-sac named Curlingmire in the Whitehills housing estate in East Kilbride.

Occupied between at least 1860 and 1902 by Andrew Wilson and Margaret Dickie. Margaret died there in 1902. It was later occupied by William Dickie and his family - William was the son of William Dickie and Annie Frood, and a great-nephew of the aforementioned Margaret Dickie.

Dalfram (Dalfram NS655267, West Dalfram NS649270)

Farms in Muirkirk, Ayrshire. In the 1881 census there is a Low Dalfram and a High Dalfram. Low Dalfram appears to have been a farm worker's residence rather than a farm in its own right; in 1881 the occupant of Low Dalfram is Alexander Gibson, who is described as a 'Dairyman'.

William Scott was living at Dalfram in 1903. He married Agnes Young Struthers, daughter of Robert Struthers and Ann Wilson.

Gavin Struthers and Isabella Craig were living at Laigh Dalfram in 1909 - their second son Alexander was born here. In 1929 their daughter Annie Wilson Struthers was living here, probably employed as a servant or dairymaid.

Dripps (NS580550)

Several farms with variations on this name are to be found in Cathcart parish, between Busby and Eaglesham.

Alexander Frood was living at Drips Farm in 1868. Three of his children were born at Cartside of Dripps between 1869 and 1873, and Alexander then moved away sometime before late 1874.

Drumbuie (NS648505)

Farm in Glassford parish, formerly known as Drumboy.

Agnes Dickie Semple, daughter of Matthew Semple and Margaret Johnston, lived here with her husband Frank for many years.

Drummochy

Farm(?) near Lower Largo, Fife.

Thomas Semple, son of John Semple and Agnes Dickie, died here in 1961.

Duntiglennan (NS489735)\

Farm in Old Kilpatrick parish. Nowadays it lies just outside the town of Duntocher.

Occupied by Alexander Frood between at least 1896 and 1901.His son John and daughter Margaret were both also resident in 1896, and another daughter Catherine is present on the 1901 census.

Dykehead (NS671393)

Farm in Avondale, a few miles south-west of Strathaven.

Occupied in 1881 by Jean Lindsay, daughter of William Craig and Jean Anderson.

East Dykes (NS666396)

Farm in Avondale, a few miles south-west of Strathaven.

John Harvie lived here in 1945. He married Margaret Johnston Semple, daughter of Matthew Semple and Margaret Johnston.

East End (NS612561)

Farm in East Kilbride.

Occupied by Alexander Frood and Ann Sinclair between at least 1880 and 1891. Alexander's father John Frood died there in 1880. Alexander appears to have moved away between 1891 and 1896, but Ann remained there until her death in 1915.

East Kilbride (NS635545)

Town and parish in Lanarkshire. In 1947 it was Scotland's first designated new town, and has grown to be the sixth largest town in Scotland.

East Law (NS825516)

Farm in Carluke. In 1881 it measured 208 acres.

Occupied in 1907 by George Scott Shirlaw and Jane Semple, daughter of John Semple and Agnes Dickie. Jane died here in 1908. Between at least 1912 and 1936 it was occupied by Matthew Semple and Margaret Johnston (Matthew was Jane's brother). Margaret died here in 1920. Their daughter Helen was married here in 1934 and their son Matthew in 1936.

Eastwood Mains (NS559579)

Farm in Renfrewshire, which stood just south-east of what is now Eastwood Toll roundabout. Confusingly, a nearby farm is also called Mains. The above OS reference is as good a guess as I can make it.

Occupied between at least 1864 and 1874 by Alexander Imrie and Janet Howie - six of their children were born there.

Enoch / Over Enoch (NS582500)

Farm south of Eaglesham.

Janet Reid, wife of Thomas Watt, died here in 1860. Their daughter Jane married William Dickie.

Margaret Semple, daughter of John Semple & Agnes Dickie, (Agnes is a daughter of William Dickie and Jane Watt) married Moses Struthers Forsyth here in 1904. Her sister Jane married George Scott Shirlaw here in 1907. Her sister Agnes married George Smith here in 1914. Her brother Andrew married Agnes Gilmour here in 1911. Her brother William died here in 1906.

Fallside (NS908309)

Farm near Wiston, Lanarkshire.

Wiliam Craig was living here in 1905. He married Elizabeth Craig, daughter of Alexander Craig and Jane Fleming.

Farme (NS723466)

Imaginatively named farm near Glassford. The OS Explorer map appears to have it identified as Westquarter House.

Three children of John Semple and Agnes Dickie; William, Margaret and James; were born here between 1873 and 1878.

Flender (NS565563)

Farm in the parish of Mearns. On modern maps it is 'Flenders', on older maps there are two distinct properties, 'Flenderhead' and 'Flenderfoot'.

Two children of John Craig and Jean McFarlane, one of which was Isabella Craig, were born here in 1812 and 1814.

Glassford (NS725470)

Town and parish in Lanarkshire. Originally Glasford; was for a time then known as West Quarter before reverting back (with a slight change) to Glassford. Legend has it that a sign painter added the extra 'S' by accident. Known locally as 'Glessart' or 'The Glessart'.

Greenbank (NS562567)

Farm in the parish of Mearns. Now part of Greenbank Garden, a National Trust for Scotland property.

Two children of John Craig and Jean McFarlane were born here in 1808 and 1809.

Greenhall (NS670567)

Greenhall farm is part of the Greenhall House estate, half-way between East Kilbride and Blantyre, on the banks of the Calder Water. Greenhall House was demolished many years ago.

Greenhall Farm was occupied between at least 1861 and 1932 by Thomas McWilliam and Christina Fleming. Four of their children were born there. William died there in 1917 and Christina in 1932. A son, James McWilliam, died at Greenhall Cottage in 1940.

Guelt (NS636192)

Farm near Old Cumnock, Ayrshire.

John Craig was living here in 1902. He married Sarah Struthers, daughter of Robert Struthers and Ann Wilson.

Hall (NS672458)

Farm in Avondale, a few miles north-west of Strathaven. In 1881 it measured 140 acres. Nowadays known as Hall of Carnduff.

John Semple, son of Andrew Semple and Jane Young, was here in 1855.

Hallburn (NS652408)

Farm about three miles south-west of Strathaven. In 1881 it measured 76 acres of arable land.

Occupied from at least 1851 by Matthew Semple and Margaret Watt. Margaret died there in 1865, and a daughter Ann was married there in 1869 (to Michael Struthers, a son of Robert Struthers and Sarah Wilson. In 1865, John McWilliam was killed by lightning nearby.

Hawbank (NS618551)

Farm in East Kilbride, under what is now College Milton industrial estate.

Matthew Semple, son of Matthew Semple & Margaret Johnston, died here in 1948.

High Borland (NS565524)

Farm near Eaglesham.

George Smith was living here in 1914. He married Agnes Semple, daughter of John Semple & Agnes Dickie, in 1914. John Semple died here in 1935. Agnes' usual residence at the time of her death in 1968.

High Glenmuir(NS623507)

Farm in Auchinleck parish. In 1881 it measured 750 acres of which 190 were arable land.

Occupied between at least 1899 and 1907 by Gavin Struthers and Isabella Craig. Five of their children were born there.

High Ploughland

See entry for Ploughland below.

High Unthank (NS675446)

Farm in Avondale, west of Strathaven.

Two children of Robert Struthers and Jean Wilson were born here between 1783 and 1785.

High Whitehills (NS630525)

High Whitehills farm stood about a mile and a half south of the town of East Kilbride. The area where the farm stood is now under the Whitehills housing estate in East Kilbride new town, and a road in the estate is named High Whitehills Road.

With the aid of the Ordnance Survey 'Explorer 334' map it is possible to locate the site of the farm. At the map reference shown is a single green 'tree' symbol, with two orange blocks indicating buildings - these buildings are more or less on the site of the farm.

Occupied in 1901 by Matthew Semple, his sister Jane and brother Thomas. Matthew married Margaret Johnston in 1903 and they had five children there between 1905 and 1910. Matthew and Margaret moved away sometime before 1912.

Holehouse (NS470565)

Village in Neilston, Renfrewshire.

Mary McCowan was living here in 1895. She married John Struthers, son of Robert Struthers and Ann Wilson.

Hookhead (NS652412)

Farm in Avondale.

Four children of John Morrison and Jane Lindsay were born here between 1811 and 1818.

Kessington (NS563704)

Farm in Bearsden, north-east of Glasgow.

In 1929 Arthur Gibson Lawrie was living here; he married Jeanie Fleming Struthers, daughter of Gavin Struthers and Isabella Morrison Craig.

Killochhead (NS520320)

Farm in Mauchline parish, Ayrshire.

Home for many years to the Dickie family. Francis Dickie was born here in 1758. At least one child of James Dickie and Margaret Wilson was born here in 1800. Gavin Dickie, their youngest son, died here in 1888. Hugh Dickie, Gavin's son, was in residence in 1901.

Kirk Street

Street in Strathaven, running roughly east to west from the centre of the town as part of the A71 trunk road.

Jean Anderson, widow of William Craig, was living there in 1881 with her daughter Elizabeth. Jean died there in 1883; Elizabeth married there in 1885.

Robert Struthers died here in 1866. It is not known if this was the same address.

26 Kirk Street - the aforementioned Elizabeth died here in 1907.

29 Kirk Street - Andrew Struthers died here in 1909.

31 Kirk Street - Janet Craig died here in 1921.

63 Kirk Street - Mary Craig's usual residence at the time of her death in 1936.

65 Kirk Street - James Weir Dickie died here in 1961.

91 Kirk Street - Ann Wilson, widow of Robert Struthers, died here in 1913. Margaret Johnston Semple was married here in 1945. Her father Matthew died here in 1957. Occupied for many years by Robert Struthers and Helen Strang Semple.

Kittochside (NS611563)

Farm in East Kilbride. Now the site of the Museum of Rural Life.

Walter Frood was living here at the time of his marriage in 1907.

Leaburn (NS644495)

Small village or hamlet about four miles south of East Kilbride. In 1881 the occupants were a shoemaker, a blacksmith (Neil McNeil and his wife Janet McWilliam), a joiner (John Struthers), a teacher of dancing and a retired ploughman.

John Struthers' sister Jean died there in 1873. Another sister Mary was his housekeeper in 1881, she died there in 1882.

Letham Road

Letham (or Lethame) Road runs approximately west out of Strathaven from the junction of Townhill Road and the Common Green. It originally ran out to Letham House, about a mile and a half from Strathaven.

See also the entry for Craigmains above.

53 Letham Road - David Struthers' usual residence at the time of his death in 1937.

59 Letham Road - Jane Anderson Craig died here in 1944 and her brother William died here in 1966. Their sister Mary Fleming Craig was normally resident here at the time of her death in 1981.

Lochfield (NS583416)

Farm in Loudoun parish, Ayrshire. Sir Alexander Fleming was born here.

Home of Hugh Fleming, son of Hugh Fleming and Mary Craig.

Lochwood (NY084966)

Farm in Dumfriesshire, about halfway between Beattock and Lockerbie.

Jean Craig, daughter of William Craig and Jean Anderson, died here in 1904.

Low Ploughland

See entry for Ploughland, below.

Mains of Glengavel

See entry for Bankend, above.

Martinholme

Farm in Avondale parish. It stood roughly where the present farm of Templeland (see entry below) now stands.

Birthplace in 1773 of Hugh Fleming.

Meikle Earnock (NS713532)

Village to the south of Hamilton and now a suburb of that town.

John Hamilton and Margaret Semple lived here between at least 1851 and 1857. Their daughter Agnes was also with them in 1851.

Middlerow (NS667423)

More often known as Middleraw. Farm in Avondale; long since demolished, it stood just north of Caldermill.

Four children of Robert Struthers and Jean Wilson were born here between 1787 and 1793.

Millwell (NS652496)

Farm and hamlet on the border of East Kilbride and Glassford parishes.

Jane Watt, daughter of Thomas Watt and Janet Reid, was born here in 1815 and married here in 1834.

Muirshiel or Shiels

Farm in Mearns parish.

Three children of Robert Howie and Isabella Craig were born here between 1830 and 1834.

Nethercraigs (NS59510)

Farm near Eaglesham.

Home of Elizabeth Mather Dykes in 1923. She married Thomas Semple, son of John Semple and Agnes Dickie.

Netherholm (NX966814)

Farm near Kirkmahoe (Kirkton), Locharbriggs, Dumfriesshire.

Sarah Struthers, daughter of of Robert Struthers and Ann Wilson, died here in 1953.

Newton of Collessie (NO292130)

Farm near Collessie in Fife.

Agnes Dickie, wife of John Semple, died here in 1961.

Nook (NS643562)

Farm in East Kilbride, near to Nerston and Chapelside. Long since disappeared under redevelopment of the new town, the site is roughly where the A725 from Hamilton meets the A749 from Rutherglen.

Margaret Johnston is here on the 1891 and 1901 census.

Norriestoun (NS669994)

Farming community near Thornhill, Perthshire.

Alexander Imrie and Janet Miller were living here between at least 1827 and 1841. Three children, including Alexander Imrie, were born here.

North Halls (NS649372)

Farm in Avondale, about six miles south-west of Strathaven.

Mary Craig died here in 1936. Isabella Craig, wife of Gavin Struthers, died here in 1948. Gavin died here in 1956.

Old Church Cottage (NS767540)

House close to the neighbouring farm of Lower Carbarns. The site where the cottage stood is now adjacent to a sewage works!

In 1851 it was occupied by John Frood and Mary McIlquham and their son Alexander.

Palyard or Paulsyard

Located in Biggar, Lanarkshire.

Home since at least 1881 of John Struthers and Helen Wilson, a daughter of Andrew Wilson and Ann Young. Helen died there in 1905.

Ploughland (NS654352 and NS659346)

Farm in Avondale. There are two farms with this name, now known as High Plewlands and Laigh Plewlands. The local pronunciation is 'Plellands'.

Mary Craig died at Low Ploughland in 1856. Her husband Hugh Fleming died there in 1855. Their son John was the occupant in 1881 and 1891(with his sister Mary) and died there in 1901.

John Craig was resident at High Ploughland in 1871. He married Margaret Craig and they are living there in 1881. Margaret died there in 1909.

Ranald's Orchard (NS775539)

Farm near Wishaw. On maps as Randall's Orchard.

Alexander Frood died here in 1857, and his wife Ann Wilson died here in 1867.

Redding (NS679406)

Farm in Avondale, also known as Ridden. In 1881 it measured 140 acres.

Margaret Watt was born here in 1808.

Occupied from at least 1841 by Andrew Wilson and Ann Young, and in 1851 by his son and daughter-in-law John Wilson and Agnes Young. Agnes died there in 1900 and John in 1902. Their daughters Ann and Isabella were married there in 1868 and 1876 respectively. Another daughter Agnes died there in 1916. Several other of their children lived there until well into adulthood.

Rigg (NS658505)

Farm in Glassford about three miles south-east of East Kilbride. The area where the farm stood later became an open-cast mining works, now disused. In 1881 it measured 95 acres.

In 1901 it was occupied by William Dickie and Annie Frood. Seven children were born there between 1907 and 1914. Ann died there in 1919 and William in 1930.

Robiesland (NS892414)

Farm near the town of Lanark.

William Lindsay was living here in 1934; he married Annie Wilson Struthers, daughter of Gavin Struthers and Isabella Craig.

Roseholm

Roseholm (also known as Rossholm) farm stood near the banks of the Annick Water, about a mile east of the town of Irvine (although it was actually in the parish of Dreghorn). In 1881 it measured 81 acres. The area where the farm stood is now under part of the A78 Irvine by-pass. There is a Roseholm Avenue in the housing estate across the Annick Water.

Occupied between at least 1867 and 1882 by John Johnston and Helen Strang. Nine of their twelve children were born there.

Roundhill (NS658409)

Farm in Avondale.

William Semple, son of Andrew Semple and Jane Young, was here in 1855.

Rutheran

See entry for Rutherend.

Rutherend (NS665499)

Also referred to as Rutheran. Farm in Glassford parish about four miles south of East Kilbride. The 1881 census indicates that Rutheran and Rutherend are two distinct dwellings, but as Rutherend is obviously a farm, and Rutheran is obviously a cottage, it may be that the cottage was once part of the farm estate.

Occupied from at least 1851 by William Dickie and Jane Watt. William died there in 1861. Their son James Dickie married Margaret Weir and they were there until at least the late 1880s. James and Margaret's son Francis was then the occupier in the early 1900s. John Semple and Agnes Dickie were married here in 1868. Still occupied by the Dickie family today.

Ryeland (NS653397)

Also known as Ryland. Farm in Avondale. The modern OS maps have a second site identified as Ryeland about half a mile north, but this is not on the 1864 map.

Occupied in 1881 by Thoms Lindsay, husband to Jean Craig, a daughter of William Craig and Jean Anderson.

Shawhill (NS545553)

Farm in the parish of Mearns. Now disappeared under the Newton Mearns suburbs.

Two children of Allan Howie and Janet Findlay, one of which was Robert Howie, were born here in 1804 and 1806.

Shawton and Shawtonhill (NS682488)

Farm and village just north of Chapelton in Glassford parish.

Janet Dickie, daughter of William Dickie and Jane Watt, married Andrew Dalglish of Shawtonhill in 1856, and were living there in 1881.

Jean Dickie, daughter of William Dickie and Jane Watt, married William Wilson, a farm servant living at Shawton Cottages, in 1863.

James Semple, son of Andrew Semple and Jane Young, died at Shawton in 1866.

Isabella Dickie, daughter of William Dickie and Jane Watt, married James Semple of Shawton in 1869.

Jane Watt (wife of William Dickie) died at Shawtonhill in 1886.

Shore Street (NS319746)

Street in Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire.

Hugh Campbell Dickie, son of Francis Dickie and Margaret Campbell, was living here in 1851.

South Halls (NS650369)

Farm in Avondale, about six miles south-west of Strathaven.

Jeanie Fleming Struthers and Agnes Wilson Young Struthers were married here in 1929 and 1933 respectively. They were daughters of Gavin Struthers and Isabella Craig.

St Mary's Hospital

Hospital in Lanark.

Annie Wilson Lindsay, daughter of Gavin Struthers and Isabella Craig, died here in 1987.

Stewart Street (NS844509)

Street in Carluke, Lanarkshire.

Elizabeth Craig, daughter of Alexander Craig and Jean Fleming, died at number 69 Stewart Street in 1952.

Southfield (NO150073)

Farm near Milnathort, Kinross.

Jeanie Fleming Struthers, daughter of Gavin Struthers and Isabella Craig, died here in 1990.

Springfield (of Carnduff) (NS659469)

There are several farms with the name Carnduff, e.g. Laigh Carnduff, High Carnduff, etc., on either side of the Avondale - East Kilbride parish boundary. Springfield is now known as West Carnduff.

Jane Semple was born here in 1869 and her brother Matthew in 1871. Matthew is possibly here in 1891, working as a Farm Servant.

Springhead

Farm in Cambusnethan.

Isabel Pettigrew, daughter of Robert Struthers and Jean Wilson, died here in 1873.

Stewartfield (NS675539)

Farm in Blantyre. In 1881 it measured 119 acres.

James Imrie died here in 1874. His brother Alexander Imrie and his wife Janet Howie were the occupiers in 1881. Alexander died there in 1900 and Janet in 1901. Their daughter Isabella died there in 1909 and their son Alexander in 1953. Thomas McWilliam and Margaret Imrie were married here in 1900.

Strathaven (NS703465)

The principal town in Avondale parish.

Syde (NS656384)

Also known as Side. Farm in Avondale about five miles south-west of Strathaven. There is an East Side and a West Side.

Robert Struthers and Sarah Wilson were the occupiers from at least 1841 onwards. From about the mid 1860s their son Robert and his wife Ann Wilson were the occupiers. The younger Robert died there in 1908. In 1933 Hugh Struthers, a great-grandson of Robert and Sarah, was the occupier. He married Agnes Wilson Young Struthers (his second cousin).

Templeland (NS654360)

Farm in Avondale. In 1881 it measured 100 acres of which 20 were arable land. See also the entry for Martinholme, above.

In 1851 it was occupied by William Fleming and Isabella Morrison. Isabella, widowed, was still resident in 1881 along with two of her sons. Alexander Craig and Jane Fleming were married here in 1875.

Touch (NS755935)

Community in St Ninian's parish, Stirlingshire. John Miller and Margaret Leckie lived here at least between 1793 and 1804.

Townhead (NS642271)

Also known as Townhead of Greenock. Farm in Muirkirk parish, Ayrshire, about 3 miles west of the town of Muirkirk.

Jean Anderson was born here in 1804. Her mother Jean Blackwood died here in 1870.

Turnlaw (NS644584)

Farm between East Kilbride and Cambuslang.

The Hearth Tax Roll of 1691 mentions a Robert Dick in Turnlaw. Occupied by Robert Dick and Agnes Alexander from at least 1807 onward. Agnes died here in 1863.

Walston Place (NT060456)

Farm in Walston, Lanarkshire. Now identified on OS maps as Walston Mansion.

Jane Dickie (nee Watt) was living here in 1881 with her daughter Isabella and her family, and another daughter, Charlotte.

West Port

Street in the town of Lanark.

Thomas McWilliam and Margaret Imrie lived at number 35 for some time; Margaret died here in 1950.

< Back to Family Home Page